With certain advanced periodontal diseases and conditions, it becomes necessary for our dentist to operate in order to effectively treat the problem. If you have severe periodontal problems that may require oral surgery in El Cajon, California, please give us a call at 619-444-4083 today to learn more and schedule an appointment with Dr. Laurel Morello.
If you have a more advanced stage of periodontal disease, your teeth and supporting bone structure will be affected in addition to your gum tissue. Your teeth may also become loose or uncomfortable as a result, making gum surgery necessary.
There are several types of gum surgery that may be recommended, depending on the stage of the disease and your individual needs. These include:
- Gingival flap surgery (pocket reduction) – this form of periodontal surgery helps to reduce the depth of your periodontal pockets by separating the gum tissue and conducting a thorough cleaning before reattaching the tissue.
- Gingivectomy – this procedure is performed to remove excess gum tissue that is covering the teeth and provide a better area to clean the teeth. This can at times be associated with a medication use that causes the gums to overgrow.
- Gingivoplasty – this form of surgery is used the reshape the healthy gum tissue around the teeth to give you a healthier and more attractive appearance. Crown lengthening and gum grafting are forms of gingivoplasty.
- Soft tissue graft – This treatment is used to repair receded gums, cover exposed tooth roots or cementum and to improve the appearance of your smile.
- Chao Pinhole® Technique – A method of addressing receding gums that requires no incisions or sutures, and involves minimal discomfort.
Our dentist and team will provide you with detailed post-surgery instructions, including how to properly clean the treated area.
For more information about periodontal surgery and to schedule a consultation with our experienced dentist, please call our office today.